The Hawaii Community Foundation has named the first recipients of its Island Innovation Fund, established by eBay founder Pierre Omidyar and his wife, Pam.
The fund is designed as a catalyst for innovation for nonprofits, with grants in the first round going to projects that have found new ways to use technology and collaborate to solve various problems.
The five recipients and projects are:
• Hawaii Agricultural Foundation, “Lei Fresh: Connecting Farmers to the Community,” $100,000;
• Kanu Hawaii, “Better Corporate Practices and Nonprofit Engagement Through Group Buying,” $100,000;
• North Kohala Community Resource Center, “Community Harvest,” $82,415;
• The Nature Conservancy of Hawaii, “Hawaii Conservation Technology Initiative,” $78,784;
• Waianae Coast Comprehensive Health Center, “Improving Population Management through Disease Focused Registries,” $100,000.